Disability Rights New York (DRNY) is the Protection & Advocacy System and Client Assistance Program (P&A/CAP) for persons with disabilities in New York. As the P&A/CAP for New York, DRNY advocates for the civil and legal rights for New Yorkers with disabilities.
The Legal Intern will assist DRNY in providing pro bono legal representation for individuals with disabilities in New York. The legal intern will assist with the screening process of clients with disabilities, the research of case-specific legal issues, the tracking of important court dates and deadlines, and drafting complaints, motions, petitions, and pleadings.
This is an unpaid internship.
- Must be available 10+ hours/week between the hours of 9 a.m.-5 p.m., with potential for travel in New York State
Qualifications and Responsibilities:
- Applicant must attend an accredited law school;
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals with disabilities;
- Experience working with individuals with disabilities (preferred);
- Passionate about issues affecting individuals with disabilities (preferred);
- Exceptional writing skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Excellent legal research skills;
- Commitment to the mission and vision of DRNY;
- Self-motivated and able to work independently; and
- Ability to prioritize and manage projects and tasks to meet deadlines
Education/ Working Knowledge
- Must have completed at least 1 year of law school.
Physical Requirements (with or without reasonable accommodations):
- Ability to communicate in person and by phone.
- Ability to operate a computer.
- Travel is not required, but may occur. DRNY will pay for travel expenses.
- Work is typically performed in an office environment with the majority of time spent working on a computer.
- This position is located in Albany NY.
To apply, please submit the following:
- Resume highlighting relevant educational and work/internship experience.
- Cover letter expressing interest in the internship.
- Transcript from an accredited college or university that details all classes you have taken and those in which you are currently enrolled.
Please send your cover letter, resume, and transcripts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
To view more about our organization, check out our YouTube videos highlighting DRNY’s mission in advocating for the civil rights of individuals with disabilities. Please visit our DRNY YouTube Channel and review our DRNY Newsletter.