Accounting Technician I (AR and Fixed Assets)
Definition and Purpose
Under the direct supervision of the Coordinator - Accounting, the Accounting Technician I (Accounts Receivable and Fixed Assets) is responsible for reviewing, recording, and maintaining cash receipts, invoice requests, and balances of prepaid deposit accounts, managing fixed asset inventory, monitoring daily banking activity and Pay Pal transactions, servicing dishonored customer payments, providing quality service and accounting assistance to program managers, and assisting the Coordinator - Accounting in accomplishing the functions of the Accounting department.
Additionally, all ASI employees are responsible for upholding the core values of the organization including but not limited to exhibiting professional behavior, acting as a role model to others, displaying a positive and cooperative attitude, communicating effectively, developing expert knowledge in area of specialization, and working together as a team.
Educational and Qualifying Experience, Skills, Licenses, Credentials
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent.
- Associates degree preferred.
- Minimum three (3) years of professional financial record-keeping and accounting experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Working knowledge of correct English grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- General knowledge of office methods, equipment, procedures, and practices.
- Knowledge of Windows-based computer systems.
- Knowledge of computerized accounting software.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and written.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others on diverse teams.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of financial record-keeping methods, procedures, and practices.
- General knowledge of governmental financial record-keeping methods.
- Ability to work independently and use initiative and judgment in analyzing and interpreting course of action.
- Ability to interpret and follow policy guidelines.
- 10-key by touch.
- Ability to make mathematical calculations with speed and accuracy.
- Ability to qualify for a fidelity bond.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Review and record invoice requests and the receipt of monthly fees as prepared by the ASI Children's Center.
- Maintain prepaid and deposit accounts for customers of the ASI Children's Center.
- Reconcile all accounts receivable accounts to ensure that balances remain accurate. Communicate all variances to the Coordinator - Accounting.
- Assist with collecting outstanding debts and overdue accounts through calls and letters.
- Coordinate and perform regularly scheduled inventories of ASI's fixed assets and CPSU assets managed by ASI.
- Ensure that all fixed assets are properly identified with property identification tags and accounted for, including adding new assets and disposing of obsolete assets.
- Work with Accounting Technician II (Accounts Payable and Fixed Assets) to maintain the fixed asset subsidiary ledger.
Cash Control and Third-Party Online Sales
- Review daily banking transactions to ensure all cash activity is recorded; report all variances and discrepancies to the Coordinator - Accounting.
- Review daily PayPal activity to record income and deposit transactions.
- Assist the Accounting Assistant with conducting regularly scheduled internal audits of petty cash and change funds.
- Service dishonored customer payments; send notifications to customer, record transaction and fees, and request 'Hold' status on student records as necessary.
- Provide information and training to managers of ASI programs and services regarding account balances, transaction information, and use of Accounting resources. Explain ASI policies and procedures relevant to conducting financial transactions and fixed asset inventory.
- Serve as back-up to Accounting Technician II - (Accounts Receivable and Point of Sale).
- Serve as back-up to Accounting Assistant for preparation of purchase orders.
- Assist Coordinator - Accounting with month-end process and annual closing of the books.
- Participate and assist with external audits as necessary.
- Prepare daily deposit journal entries from sales account reports, credit card reconciliations and deposit receipts.
- Analyze and report deposit variances to area managers.
- Reconcile sales tax and prepare remittance payment request forms per SBOE reporting schedule
- Ensure revenue and deposits are recorded in proper periods.
- Verify refund claims, prepare payment requests for authorized approval, and submit for refund check processing or transact credit card refunds.
- Reconcile monthly banking and credit card transactions and prepare allocation of credit card fees.
- Develop and execute assessment of programs and/or services for areas of responsibility including but not limited to setting and implementing goals, evaluating outcomes and ongoing enhancement.
- Participate in the overall ASI assessment planning and goal setting.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Represent ASI on committees as appropriate.
- Ensure continuous professional development.
- The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in ASI policy as a condition of their employment.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position is subject to a background check (including criminal records) as well as National Address Locater (Social Security Number [SSN] Trace), 7 year County Criminal Search in each county and/or state the applicant lived in based on the SSN Trace, National Criminal Database Search, Name Search, Employment Verification (All employers in past 7 years) and Education Verification (Highest Degree). Credit Reports, Motor Vehicle Record Check and Professional License Verification may also be required based upon the essential functions of the position.
- Hourly Rate: $18.03
- Premium Overtime: Yes
- Shift Differential: Yes
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS)
- Social Security (FICA)
- Paid State Holidays
- Vacation Time
- Sick Leave
- Personal Holiday
- Birthday Holiday
- Worker's Compensation Insurance
- Unemployment Insurance
Date of Last Equity Review: 2/3/18
Date revised: 5/9/18
This position may require sitting, standing, walking, bending over, reaching ovehead, crouchign, knweeling, balancing, pushing or pulling, lifting or carrying up to 25 pounds, repetitive use of hands/arms, and repetitive use of legs.
Environmental factors include working inside, outside, dirty, dusty, noisy, working with others, working around others and working alone.