CITY OF KAUKAUNA
POSITION: Dance Instructor
REPORTS TO: Recreation Director (or His/Her Designee)
Under the supervision of the Recreation Director (or His/Her Designee), instructs students in recreational dance lessons. This position is a part-time; seasonal position.
MAJOR POSITON DUTIES
- Instructs participants in various genres of dance including tap, ballet, jazz, hip-hop, lyrical, etc.
- Maintains a professional, courteous and friendly demeanor at all times while working with participants, parents and other Recreation Department Staff.
- Selects, with approval from the Recreation Director (or His/Her Designee), appropriate costumes and music.
- Prepares genre, age and ability appropriate choreography for each class.
- Through the use of choreographed routines explains and demonstrates genre, age and ability appropriate dance principals. Drills students in execution of dance steps.
- Prepares written choreography and/or lesson plans designed to be used by a substitute instructor in the event of illness or absence. Written choreography/lesson plans must be submitted to the Recreation Director (or His/Her Designee) on a monthly basis for review and approval of compensation (for choreography).
- Assists Recreation Department Office Staff with the administration and collection of payments for registration, shoes, costumes, retail orders, fundraisers, photos, etc.
- Proposes class/student changes to Recreation Department Office Staff to ensure students are placed in the correct classes for their age and abilities.
- Assists Recreation Department Office Staff with the preparation of the end of the season dance recital including but not limited to shoes, costumes, ticket sales, music selection and preparation, revue line-up, student supervision, decorations, rehearsals, volunteer coordination, etc.
- Directs, with the assistance of the Recreation Department staff, rehearsals and the recital.
- Attends staff meetings as scheduled by the Recreation Director (or His/Her Designee).
- Maintains attendance records for each class.
- Reads weekly announcements in binder, relays appropriate information to participants and families through verbal announcements and written handouts, and responds to the Recreation Office with questions and feedback as appropriate.
- Submits biweekly time sheets and other administrative paperwork.
- Other Duties as Assigned by the Recreation Director (or His/Her Designee).
(ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES)
Dance Instructors must possess…
- considerable knowledge of various forms, genres and styles of dance. (Formal dance education, experience and certification are heavily preferred).
- ability to choreograph creative, age and ability appropriate routines.
- considerable knowledge of the various learning styles, needs and preferences of children.
- ability to administer effective and appropriate behavioral discipline.
- ability to choose age and genre appropriate music for routines.
- working knowledge of and ability to use various audio equipment and media.
- great preparation and planning skills.
- ability to consistently meet deadlines.
- great written, oral and non-verbal communication skills.
- ability to receive, read, respond, compose and send emails and texts in a timely fashion.
- ability to receive and respond to voicemail in a timely fashion.
- ability to grow knowledge, skills and abilities essential to dance instructors.
- ability to show patience, empathy and understanding for participants, parents and coworkers.
- ability to establish and maintain effective public and working relationships.
- Ability to stoop, kneel, climb, bend, lift, push and pull up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to sustain prolonged visual concentration.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time.
This description has been prepared to assist in evaluating various classes of responsibilities, skills, and working conditions. It indicates the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of positions given this classification. It is not intended as a complete list of specific duties and responsibilities. Nor is it is intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. Nothing contained herein is intended or shall be construed to create or constitute a contract of employment between any employee or group of employees and the City. The City retains and reserves any and all rights to change, modify, amend, add to, or delete from any section of this document as it deems, in its judgment, to be proper.
I have read and understand the above Position Description of Dance Instructor.
Employee Signature Date