This is your opportunity to join the dynamic Zoo Operations team at Woodland Park Zoo. Applications are now being accepted for Assistant Gardener in the Horticulture department. There is one part-time, temporary, non-benefited position to be filled at this time.
Performs semi-skilled to skilled horticultural tasks in assigned area by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in the propagating, planting, cultivating, watering, and fertilizing of flowers, plants, shrubs, trees, and other plant materials.
- Plant bulbs, annuals, perennials, ground cover, shrubs, and trees.
- Under supervision, operate spray equipment to apply herbicides and pesticides to shrubs, trees, lawns, and planting areas.
- Transplant and prune trees and shrubs.
- Prepare, plant, and maintain planting beds; seeds lawn areas and cuts and transplants sod.
- Operate motor vehicles to, between, and from assigned work locations.
- Maintain required records; prepares necessary reports.
- Perform other related duties of a comparable level/type as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of the methods, materials, procedures, tools, and equipment associated with landscaping and gardening is required.
- Commitment to the mission of the zoo and the institutions' Core Values.
One year certificate from college or technical school; or three to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Basic knowledge of methods, materials, procedures, tools, and equipment associated with landscaping and gardening is required.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES
Valid Washington State Driver's License required.
Sufficient computer skills are required to communicate via email, fill out electronic timesheets, forms, and other electronic record keeping.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather) and outdoor weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts; work in high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock and vibration.
The noise level in the work environment is varies from moderate to loud.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit and taste or smell.
Applications are only accepted online through our Jobs page at www.zoo.org; no other forms of application will be accepted. Cover letter and resume are REQUIRED when applying for this position. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications are due prior to 12:00 AM on the posted Close date (i.e. by 11:59 PM the evening before).
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, or gender identity/expression.