Assists the Store Manager (SM) in directing, managing, supervising, and coordinating the activities and operations of the Mountain View Co-op (MVC) Retail Store. Coordinates assigned activities with other divisions and customers. The Assistant Store Manager (ASM) must embrace and exhibit the WHEAT culture at MVC.
Distinguishing Class Features
This position performs mid-level supervisory, administrative and professional work to direct, promote and coordinate the location operations in a manner that will optimize MVC’s market share and net savings. The assistant manager will be promoting and supporting MVC presence to achieve efficiency and profitability, while providing and maintaining a culture of high customer service. This position will ensure compliance with MVC’s policies and procedures.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
(These are examples only; any one position may not include all of the listed examples nor do the listed examples include all functions, which may be found in positions of this class.)
- Assist SM supervise, plan, coordinate, and direct the work of the assigned location. Assist SM regarding staffing decisions including hiring, firing, training, discipline, performance evaluations, and scheduling of work
- Creates and maintains a high-performance environment characterized by positive leadership and strong team orientation
- Lead and maintain a positive WHEAT customer service experience
- Monitor and maintain inventories in compliance with MVC procedures
- Maintain and implement MVC’s credit policy
- Maintain and increase profitability and sales
- Maintain accurate cash control
- Understand, study, and know monthly margin reports and P&L’s
- Process orders, purchase inventory, respond to customer complaints
- Ensure facility is maintained and clean
- Practices and encourages work place safety and holds employees accountable to practice work place safety
- Operate POS system
- Other duties that may be assigned
Knowledge and understanding of:
- Supervisory principles and practices
- Principles and methods of program development, implementation, and promotion
- MVC’s products and purpose
- Word processing and spreadsheet software
- Safety rules, procedures and practices
- Plan, organize, prioritize, supervise, direct and evaluate the work of assigned staff as assigned
- Maintain time, cost and material records and prepares comprehensive reports
- Establish effective working relationships with the managers, other employees, and the patrons
- Communicate well with others in both technical and non-technical terms
- Prepare accurate and reliable reports containing findings, recommendations, and technical documentation
- Operate a personal computer using word processing, spreadsheet and database applications appropriate to assigned duties
- Use logical and creative thought processes to develop solutions according to written specifications and/or oral instructions
- Perform a wide variety of supervisory and public relations tasks with accuracy and speed under the pressure of time-sensitive deadlines
- Quickly learn and put to use new skills and knowledge brought about by rapidly changing information and/or technology
- Drive to meetings year-round within the state of Montana
- Meet challenges with resourcefulness through original thinking and creativity
- Works varied hours and days required of this position
Reports to the Store Manager.
- High School diploma or GED and
- Two (2) years prior Retail experience
- Six months (6) of supervisory experience
- Fork lift certified or ability to become certified
- Valid Driver’s License issued by the State of Montana.
Essential Physical Abilities:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Clarity of speech and hearing that permits the employee to communicate well with internal and external customers
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and far vision, the ability to adjust focus while operating computers and viewing into monitors, to read paper documents and operate motor vehicles
- Manual dexterity that permits the employee to operate a personal computer, files and equipment
- Personal mobility that permits the employee to enter, operate and exit motor vehicles
- Ability to navigate stairs
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- The employee frequently is required to sit and reach with hands and arms; occasionally required to stoop, kneel, and climb.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work is most generally performed in a retail environment
- Travel in and outside the County to attend meetings etc. in all weather conditions
- The noise level in the work environment varies from low to moderately loud.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel as classified.
|We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.