Research Assistant Intern
Location: Waltham, MA
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of small molecule and biologic prescription medicines. AstraZeneca is pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas, including respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity; cardiovascular and metabolic disease; oncology; neuroscience; and infection and vaccines.
We are currently seeking Graduate candidates who are working towards obtaining a degree in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Biomedical Informatics, Biomedical Engineering, Statistics, Computer Science, applied mathematics, or a similar field for an internship during the summer of 2018. This summer internship opportunity is with the iMED Oncology Bioinformatics group.
- To explore cancer biomarker discovery for precision oncology from analyzing next generation sequencing (NGS) data
- To gain experience methodology development to quantify similarities across cancer patients and preclinical models from OMICS data
- To gain experience of applying computational Biology and Bioinformatics to advance drug discovery in a pharmaceutical setting
The intern will join a leading and dynamic global team of experienced bioinformaticians embedded within AstraZeneca’s oncology iMED and have chance to access AstraZeneca’s proprietary oncology data and apply cutting edge NGS technologies to solve pressing oncology problems to help cancer patients with duties below
- To identify biomarkers for subtyping diseases/drug responses for cancer patients and preclinical models including cell lines and mouse models, using DNA and RNA-seq
- To develop a R Shiny browser for visualizing and querying biomarker discoveries across cancer patients, cell lines, and mouse models
- To explore developing a method to quantify similarities between cancer patients and preclinical models from integrated biomarker analysis
- Communicate/present results in AstraZeneca working groups with a multidisciplinary setting
- Publication opportunities