The purpose of this position is to provide general nursing care and management of the medical patient care team, working collaboratively with physicians, mid-level practitioners, multidisciplinary team, and patient/family to provide quality patient care consistent with La Clinica's standards as a patient-centered medical home. The Nurse Manager oversees the efficient running of the care coordination and follow-up activities, and directly supervise the Patient Care Coordinators. This position will be responsible for clerical and administrative duties, including maintenance of inventory and managing medical records.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Leadership and Education
1. Ensures efficient day to day management of patient care coordination and follow-up activities within the Medical Services team.
2. Supervises all Patient Care Coordinators, providing personnel management to include schedules, timesheets, and performance monitoring.
3. Develops weekly schedule for clinic sessions, care team assignments, and triage
4. Ensures coverage for all positions and functions for day to day operations of patient care
5. Coordinates clinic sessions and manages clinic flow
6. Ensures adherence of team to La Clinica's standards of care, including but not limited for documentation, patient follow-up, care coordination, care planning and management, and tracking of referrals and diagnostic procedures.
7. Maintain patient services inventory and work with the Program Assistant to order clinical and program materials, including, pharmaceuticals, medical supplies, lab supplies, contraceptives, vaccines and injectables, educational and program supplies.
8. Ensure vaccine inventory is properly monitored for adherence to cold-chain requirements.
9. Works closely with direct service staff and supervisors in other LCDP units and departments to meet patient care needs.
10. Evaluates the effectiveness of the care given by the care team, identifies problems and guides team members to their solution.
11. Orients staff and volunteers to clinical procedures and protocols.
12. Responsible for the oversight of MA clinical skills, including orientation, training, and annual evaluation of MA clinical skills.
13. Serves as a resource person to other staff in the area of own clinical expertise.
14. Communicates clearly, concisely and accurately, creating a working climate that provides growth and job satisfaction of personnel.
15. Conducts regular care team meetings to ensure communication, review achievements, and evaluate patient care and patient flow.
16. Works closely with Medical Services Administrator, Medical Director, Chief Medical Officer to develop strategies for improved clinic operations and a high level of patient care.
17. Participates in La Clinica's management team.
18. Meets regularly with supervisor to report and review work plan
19. Performs other duties as assigned
Chronic Disease Care Management
20. In collaboration with the medical care team and patient/family, develops care plans for assigned patient population.
21. Provides monitoring, clinical management, and self-management support to assigned patient population.
22. Ensures adherence of patients to LCDP's established, evidence-based guidelines and standards of care through systematic chart review and management of population information.
23. Participates in care review meetings and triads as indicated.
24. Provide general nursing care with medical services team as assigned by supervisor, including:
a. Assess, plan, direct and evaluate total nursing care as determined by the patient's age related physical, psychosocial, and cultural needs in accordance with established standards, policies and procedures of La Clinica del Pueblo.
b. Collaborates and communicates effectively with the medical care/nursing team.
c. In collaboration with the medical care/nursing team and patient/family, provides basic education information to patients and family, focusing on self-care appropriate to their age and identified learning considerations and needs.
d. Documents all patient interactions and treatments in the medical record, in accordance with the nursing process and standards of care.
e. Assists provider with examination and procedures per request, including but not limited to:
1. Rooming patients, taking vital signs
2. Administer first aid
4. Non-intravenous injections, ordered by licensed provider
5. Administer medication, ordered by licensed provider
7. Peak flow, nebulizer treatments
8. Adult and pediatric immunizations
9. Placement and interpretation of PPD results
10. Wound care/dressing change
11. Assist licensed providers with minor medical procedures
f. Conducts in-person and telephone triage with patients to determine need and appropriateness for visit, coordinating with providers as needed and timely documentation in the medical record
g. Provides a safe environment and promotes quality patient care through adherence to established standards at the facility.
h. Oversees the patient care coordinators' universal precautions in obtaining specimens (venipuncture, cultures, etc.) and in delivery of patient care.
i. Identifies opportunities for and participates in performance improvement activities as requested
j. Demonstrates competent professional practice, ongoing service excellence skills, compliance with all policy, procedures, and federal /state regulations, and engages in opportunities for professional growth.
k. Contributes to the productivity and professional environment of the department.
25. Attends internal and external meetings as required