Matheson Inc. is an award winning national transportation and logistics provider proudly serving the United States Postal Service and other carriers since 1964. We offer specialized hauling, time sensitive material handling and transportation, underwing airport operations, and terminal handling services.
Matheson Inc. is a privately-held, family owned and operated company with headquarters in Sacramento, California. We manage a fleet of tractors, trailers, and aircraft ground support equipment, as well as maintenance facilities across the Western United States.
As a business partner of the United States Postal Service, Matheson is committed to their belief that “service must be reliable and convenient, and must improve continuously.” We take pride in the fact that our service is consistently at or above the 99% performance level.
The Contract Specialist role is part of the Contracting Department and works in conjunction with the Director of Contracting, other Contract Specialists and various Matheson departments such as Accounting, Operations and the Matheson Control Center (MCC). The Contract Specialist roles and responsibilities are varied based on the needs of the Contracting Department. General responsibilities include: maintaining contract documentation; understanding, interpreting and applying Postal Service policies and procedures to daily operations and contract issues; providing timely and professional responses to Postal Service inquiries developing proposals; developing and interpreting reports and making recommendations; analyzing the financial performance and profitability status of contracts.
Contract Management/Customer Service
- Partner with the contracting team to develop proposals and pricing models for new business opportunities, contract renewals, contract modifications and service changes
- Negotiate proposals, renewals and service changes with Postal Service and other customers and suppliers
- Resolve operational and administrative issues with Postal Service, other customers and suppliers
- Provide guidance on contract language, postal policy and state and federal regulations
- Establish and maintain supportive relationships with the key leaders across the organization, building personal and organizational trust as an irreplaceable business partner
- Practice interpersonal courtesy, create positive first impressions, maintain appropriate contact and evoke honesty and tact in both pleasant and unpleasant situations
- Develop and sustain customer relationships on an ongoing basis
Contract Financial Management
- Evaluate the financial impact of renewals, service changes and other contract modifications and activities; engage key stakeholders as needed and provide recommendations based on review
- Prepare two-year economic adjustments and measure impact
- Evaluate contract performance to determine necessity for amendments or extensions of contracts and compliance to contractual obligations
- Develops reports, analyze financial data and makes appropriate recommendations to improve performance, increase efficiency and reduce costs
- Work with Accounts Payable to ensure proper and complete invoices and payments are received (i.e. late slips, extra trips, diversions, trailer damage)
- Ensure contract and document storage systems are updated
- Monitor the service standards of contracts in conjunction with Operations
- Assist in contract budgeting to determine the appropriate use of resources
- Review profitability of contracts and makes recommendations for improvement (i.e. Review effective and efficient use of equipment usage and run times
Safety and Compliance
- Monitor compliance with established company policies, procedures, guidelines and standards
- Review, analyze and ensure that all contracts are meeting government regulatory compliance (i.e. DOT, DOL) and business specifications and identify opportunities for improvement
Current and comprehensive knowledge and understanding of contracts, service issues and related business practices, policies and procedures.
Background in creating and sustaining business relationships and providing excellent customer service.
Understanding and ability to apply contractual language and policy.
- Understanding of basic finance, pro forma, profit/loss statement and cost components.
Self-starter with the ability to manage multiple tasks, projects and deadlines.
Excellent written/verbal interpersonal communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with a broad and diverse group of customers, peers and staff.
Proven ability to establish and cultivate effective customer relationships, including strong skills in negotiation techniques to ensure prompt problem resolution, excellent support and meeting project milestones.
Ability to quickly gain knowledge of business environment, customer needs and key performance indicators.
Excellent analytical, reasoning and problem solving skills.
Proficient in business and financial analysis.
Proven ability to comprehend, interpret and apply contract terms and conditions.
Highly motivated, customer-focused, positive and enthusiastic attitude.
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office – Excel and Word skills.
Matheson Inc is an EOE.