Intern: Purification Process Sciences
Cross-functional Cell Culture and Purification Intern
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca, a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of small molecule and biologic prescription medicines. MedImmune is pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas, including respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity; cardiovascular and metabolic disease; oncology; neuroscience; and infection and vaccines.
We are currently seeking candidates who are working towards obtaining a Bachelor’s Degree in Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Biochemistry for an internship during the summer of 2018. This internship opportunity is with the Purification Process Sciences department.
The objective of this internship is to identify harvest method(s) and conditions that would decrease impurity burdens on downstream purification processes and provide improved harvest recovery, robustness, and process throughput for cell culture.
- Grow mammalian cell cultures (up to 36L)
- Evaluate cell culture harvest methods
- Purify each harvest method and compare product quality
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Plan and execute laboratory experiments
- Participate in solving and troubleshooting complex problems
- Analyze and interpret analytical data
- Collaborate and communicate with scientists from various disciplines within the company