Matheson Inc. is an award winning national transportation and logistics provider proudly serving the United States Postal Service and other carriers since 1964. We offer specialized hauling, time sensitive material handling and transportation, underwing airport operations, and terminal handling services.
Matheson Inc. is a privately-held, family owned and operated company with headquarters in Sacramento, California. We manage a fleet of tractors, trailers, and aircraft ground support equipment, as well as maintenance facilities across the Western United States.
As a business partner of the United States Postal Service, Matheson is committed to their belief that “service must be reliable and convenient, and must improve continuously.” We take pride in the fact that our service is consistently at or above the 99% performance level.
The Proposal Writer role is part of the Contracting Department and works in conjunction with the Director of Contracting, other Contract Specialists and various Matheson departments such as Accounting, Operations and the Matheson Control Center (MCC). The Proposal Writer roles and responsibilities are varied based on the needs of the Contracting Department. Primary responsibilities include: planning, organizing, coordinating, facilitating and submitting proposals for company services. Additional duties include managing the full life cycle of the proposal process, analyzing RFPs and other bid documents, collaborating with internal and external contributors and SMEs as necessary and developing proposals. A Proposal Writer must successfully manage multiple concurrent projects. Other duties include collaborating with the team to improve and implement processes and templates, update and maintain the proposal library.
- Determine proposal direction and construction by helping to identify and clarify the solution and needs through analysis of the RFP
- Schedule and attend strategy meetings
- Identify and communicate risks associated with proposals
- Prepare a work plan that lists the tasks required to create the proposal, such as design, writing, editing, review and production
- Meet proposal deadlines by establishing priorities, task ownership and target dates for information gathering, writing, reviewing and approval; monitor and communicate proposal status: coordinate requirements with contributors, provide proposal status information at review meetings
- Create a text shell for all sections of proposal, providing standard text where possible for contributors to work with
- Develop proposal by assembling information from contributors: writing, revising and editing drafts including executive summaries, cover letters, etc.
- Read, edit and finalize each section of a proposal; make changes to bring consistent tone to sections from different contributors; ensure the content matches the RFP requirements and includes standard or approved proposal language for legal sections
- Prepare final proposal by evaluating text and graphics: coordinate printing
- Ensure proposal is compliant and completed according to RFP instructions
- Maintain quality results by using templates; following proposal writing standards including readability; maintain proposal support database
- Improve proposal writing results by evaluating and re-designing processes, approach, coordination and boilerplates; implement changes
Contract Financial Management
- Assist in the evaluation the financial impact of renewals, service changes and other contract modifications and activities
- Monitor the service standards of contracts in conjunction with Operations
- Develop reports, analyze financial data and make recommendations to improve performance, increase efficiency and reduce costs
- Work with Accounts Payable to ensure proper and complete invoicing and payment received (late slips, extra trips, diversions, trailer damage)
- Assist in the preparation of two-year economic adjustments and measure impact
- Ensure contract and document storage systems are updated
- Assist in contact budgeting to determine the appropriate use of resources
- Evaluate contract performance to determine necessity for amendments or extensions of contracts and compliance to contractual obligations
Safety & Compliance
- Monitor compliance with established company policies, procedures, guidelines and standards
- Review, analyze and ensure that all contracts are meeting government regulatory compliance (i.e. DOT, DOL) and business specifications and identify opportunities for improvement
Demonstrated proposal writing and managing or proposal coordination experience.
3-5 years of experience with contract administration and development.
4 year degree in Accounting, Business Management or Logistics preferred.
- Previous experience in contract negotiations and contract management a plus.
- Experience working with RFPs, interpreting structure and requirements.
- Background in creating and sustaining business relationships and providing excellent customer service.
- Proficient understanding in business and financial analysis.
- Understanding of basic finance, pro forma, profit and loss statement and cost components.
- Prefer knowledge and understanding of contracts, service issues and related business practices, policies and procedures.
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office – Word, PowerPoint and Excel skills.
- Self-starter with the ability to manage multiple tasks, projects and deadlines.
- Ability to analyze and convert strategic and operational issues into opportunities that achieve the goals of the business.
- Excellent written/verbal interpersonal communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with a broad and diverse group of customers, peers and staff.
- Excellent research skills and the ability to write persuasively and articulately.
- Ability to quickly gain knowledge of business environment, customer needs and key performance indicators.
- Excellent analytical, reasoning and problem solving skills.
- Proven ability to comprehend, interpret and apply contract terms and conditions.
- Highly motivated, customer-focused, positive and enthusiastic attitude.