- Leads energizing, fun, safe, and educational group classes, as directed by the supervisor, to accomplish the YMCA mission and goals.
- Answers questions from members to support them in achieving their goals related to healthy living. Maintains working knowledge of wellness and trends to provide effective information and support to members.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with members; helps members connect with each other and the YMCA.
- Keeps accurate class attendance records.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations.
STATEMENT OF UNDERSTANDING:
- Complete your time sheet on the day you work. It is not acceptable to complete it another day.
- Show up to class 10-15 minutes early to prepare and mingle with members.
- Dress appropriately
- Greet members before you start class with your name and the name of your class
- Start and end your class on time.
- Keep the area where you are teaching in order and pick up after yourself.
- If your class average is low for one month, you will be asked to revise your class. You will be notified and if your class numbers do not pick up another class maybe be put in that time slot.
- Notify your supervisor by telephone (texting is not considered proper notification) as soon as you know you will be unable to teach class, whether you are ill or will be going out of town. 30 minutes notice is not adequate. Provide information on who will be covering your class.
- You are responsible to find your own qualified substitute if you will be unable to teach your class.
- If you promise to substitute for a class and are unable to cover it you are responsible to fine someone to teach.
- Set up an account on www.yexchange.org to upload your certifications. See “YMCA of the USA Health & Well-Being Equivalency Certifications Booklet”.
- May work at any location and adjust your schedule as to the needs of the association.
- Adhere to association and position training requirements.
- Required certifications:
- CPR, First Aid, AED within 60 days of hire
- National certification in group fitness instruction or YMCA Foundations of Group Exercise certification. These must be provided at time of hire. All teachers, substitutes and volunteers must meet these qualifications.
- Certification in areas of expertise.
- Orientation to Healthy Living at the Y within 60 days of hire.
- Child Abuse training within 60 days of hire
- At least one year of experience teaching group wellness classes preferred.
- Employee Orientation with 60 days of hire.
- Ability to conduct classes and activities.
- Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position; including leading class, walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness
to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
|We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.