We are looking for a New York City-based Media Engagement Specialist to develop relationships with journalists and ensure effective two-way communication with the news media.
In this role, you should be an organized and cool-tempered professional who is passionate about journalism as well as animal rights. The successful candidate will be a highly-motivated, personable individual who is able to work with minimal supervision and develop relationships with journalists in order to build a network of opportunities to place PETA's campaign stories in a wide range of news outlets.
We expect you to have a creative mind and excellent communication skills. If you are also confident in your networking and relationship-building abilities, we'd like to meet you.
Your goal will be to cultivate relationships with journalists through social media, in-person meetings and through the successful placement of PETA issues and campaigns in the news media.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
• Build and maintain a network of journalists in fields that covers all areas of PETA's campaigns and operations, including international, national, regional, and trade press
• Manage budget for Public Relations expenses
• Promote PETA's reputation in the media and be an ambassador for the organization
• Monitor media for sympathetic journalist networking opportunities
• Develop leads for story placements, find out what specific journalists are interested in and report back to media pitchers
• Engage journalists on stories they have written, offer feedback and create opportunities to insert PETA messaging into articles
• Organize PR events (e.g. open days, luncheons, media mailings)
• Address inquiries from the media and other parties
• Prepare and submit PR reports
• Attend media conferences and other events for journalist networking opportunities (ONA, IRE etc.)
• Identify opportunities to improve PETA's standing in the media and the advancement of PETA campaign issues
• Carry out any other tasks as directed by the Media Office managers
• Degree in Public Relations, Journalism, Communications or a related field
• Proven experience in a public relations role
• Demonstrated extensive working knowledge of the media industry, including print, broadcast, and online media outlets
• Thorough knowledge of animal rights issues and PETA campaigns
• Demonstrated the ability to build effective relationships and deal with a variety of people in a professional manner
• Proficient in MS Office and an extensive social media network
• Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Proven excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Proven ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
• Professional appearance and adherence to a healthy vegan lifestyle
• Support for PETA's philosophy and the ability to advocate PETA's positions professionally
• Commitment to the objectives of the organization