The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum’s Collection department is looking for an enthusiastic individual to join our team. The successful candidate will have extensive experience with saltwater and freshwater life support systems. The successful candidate must have the ability to maintain and/or repair LSS components including ozone generators, pumps and all types of filtration systems and will be responsible for performing water quality testing. Good knowledge of automated control systems is important. Must be adaptable, team orientated, a self-starter requiring little supervision, and able to manage time and resources effectively. The successful candidate is expected to continue to expand their proficiencies and acquire new skills in the maintenance field.
Qualifications: Associates degree (A.A.) or equivalent from a two-year College or technical school and four years’ experience in aquatic animal life support systems or similar industrial processing plant work experience. AALSO certification Level 1 required, Level 2 desired. Must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Weekend and holiday work is required. Valid Arizona driver’s license and satisfactory driving record required.
This position does not have a closing date and is considered open until filled; however, it is recommended that all credentials be submitted for consideration as soon as possible. Please understand that if offered a position, you will, as a final condition of employment, be required to successfully complete a pre-employment drug test and provide a 39-month DMV report.
Job Title: Maintenance Technician (Life Support/Water Quality Technician)
Department: General Collections
Reports To: General Curator
Date Prepared: October 11, 2017
The Life Support/Water Quality Technician shall be responsible for the daily operation and maintenance of all aquatic animal Life Support Systems (LSS) that support Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum’s aquatic animal exhibits. This position will be responsible for monitoring all phases of aquarium exhibit water treatment processing, water quality, as well as equipment condition and making necessary changes or repairs as needed.
This position will frequently interface with other departments including, Living collections, Maintenance, Veterinarians and animal keepers regarding water quality, LSS process equipment adjustments and needed repairs by performing the following duties:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Monitors LSS equipment and processes for normal operation and make changes as needed. Keeps record and modifies system operations.
- Performs preventative and corrective maintenance as needed to keep LSS equipment in excellent working condition and appearance.
- Recommends, orders and maintains the stock of required spare parts, tools, and test instruments.
- Understands and interprets water chemistry reports and results, recommends and carries out corrections.
- Perform and document water quality.
- Maintains LSS system logs and records as needed.
- Interfaces effectively with other departments to maintain the highest quality standards.
- Follows and maintains all safety policies and procedures.
- Maintains the highest standard of work area cleanliness at all times.
- Performs other duties as workload necessitates.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.