To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Basic Eligibility Requirements
· Must be a United States Citizen.
· Must be at least 21 years of age but not yet 36 years of age when sworn as a police officer. Eligible military veterans are able to be sworn up until age 40.
· If you are a current Indiana INPRS fund member, you may be eligible to waive the age requirement.
· Must be willing, if appointed, to reside within St. Joseph County or adjoining county in Indiana.
Copies of the following documents are required. (Upon completion of the online application you may bring these documents to the SBPD training bureau or apply at the SBPD.)
· DD214 (Armed Services Discharge – if applicable).
· High school diploma or GED.
· Official and sealed high school transcripts.
· Official and sealed college transcripts. (If applicable)
· Birth certificate.
· Valid driver’s license.
· Copy of certified officer status.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
· High School Graduate, as evidenced by an official transcript issued by an accredited high school. An achievement test certificate from an accredited high school or state board of education is acceptable.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES PREFERRED
· Two or more years of continuous service as a certified officer.
· Education beyond high school.
· College internships.
· Volunteer community service.
· Honorably discharged war veteran.
FACTORS THAT RESULT IN AUTOMATIC REJECTION
· Domestic violence conviction.
· Hard drug use.
· Drug selling.
· Felony conviction.
· Dishonorable discharge from the military.
· Driving while intoxicated conviction in past five years.
FACTORS THAT DECREASE EMPLOYMENT CONSIDERATION
· Involvement in criminal activity.
· Misdemeanor conviction.
· Documented evidence of domestic violence.
· Military rejection or early discharge for cause.
· Marijuana use beyond experimental usage.
· Poor driving and accident record.
· Illegal acts.
· Past job problems or firings.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSE, REGISTRATION
· Valid Unrestricted Driver’s License required
· Certification of Officer Status
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and walk, and talk or hear. The employee is required to run; use hands to fingers, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds or more. The employee must be able to work for long periods of time, requiring sustained physical activity and intense concentration, make rapid transitions from rest to near maximal exertion without a warm up period. Also, the employee must be physically able to protect himself/herself and others. Specific vision abilities required in this job include the ability to adjust focus of varying distances.
Work is performed in and out of office settings. The noise level in the office environment is usually quiet to moderate at a reasonable temperature. Entire office is smoke free. In the field Police officers should expect to face exposure to the typical hazards of working outdoors in all weather conditions, be able to tolerate grotesque sights and smells, and moderate to very loud noises.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to age, race, color, religion, sex, disability, veteran's status, national origin, genetic information, or sexual orientation. Reasonable accommodations will be considered in accordance with State and Federal Law.