Since 1980, the Mercatus Center at George Mason University has been the world's premier university source for market-oriented ideas-bridging the gap between academic ideas and real-world problems. A university-based research center, Mercatus works to advance knowledge about how markets work to improve our lives by training graduate students, conducting research, and applying sound economics to offer solutions to society's most pressing problems.
How can you contribute to a free and prosperous society?
Senior Research Fellows play a significant role on our Policy Research teams by helping set priorities and directions that advance our mission. Our Fellows are seen as trusted experts in their field based on their research and economic ideas while maintaining distance from partisan issues. We need experts who can lead and collaborate with an integrated team of research and policy staff. Together with a team of colleagues we design and conduct research that impacts barriers preventing individuals from living free, prosperous, and peaceful lives.
Value adding opportunities include:
- Developing a research agenda focused on the intersection of regulation and innovation, with the goal of bringing greater attention to emerging technologies and the many different policy questions surrounding them;
- Making the case that entrepreneurs must be protected against efforts to preemptively control ongoing trial-and-error experimentation; and
- Working with outreach and media teams to fostering a culture where creative minds are empowered to find new and better ways of creating value for society.
What we are looking for:
- A leading authority. A relevant academic degree, preferably an advanced degree, or a professional reputation that readily identifies you as a leading authority in your field.
- A rigorous scholar. A commitment to apply sound methods of economic and legal analysis to current issues of public policy. Experience applying theoretical models, especially models related to economic growth, entrepreneurship, and innovation, and an understanding of empirical applications to generate timely research ideas and output.
- A skilled communicator. A proven record of effectively communicating complex ideas to academic, policy, and general audiences. This may include publication of papers in academic journals, placements in national media, public speaking, appearances on TV and radio, and use of social media for a variety of audiences-including scholars, policy-makers, and policy professionals, and the general public
- A team player, and yet a self-starter. An ability to work closely with colleagues to successfully execute strategic plans, but the ability to work independently. Our organization embraces an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Passionate about ideas. A strong inclination to promote policies that emphasize the ability of free and open markets to increase broadly-shared economic well-being and promote positive social change
Help Us Grow
Please submit your cover letter and resume, as well as three references, through our online application process. Your cover letter must indicate your interest in the Mercatus Center's mission.
Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience. In addition, Mercatus provides excellent benefits to all individual employees, including full health and dental coverage, flexible spending accounts, long-term disability and life insurance, a 403(b) retirement savings program, a parking permit, and free credits at George Mason University.
About the Mercatus Center at George Mason University
For over 25 years, the Mercatus Center at George Mason University has been the world's premier university source for market-oriented ideas-bridging the gap between academic ideas and real-world problems. A university-based research center, Mercatus works to advance knowledge about how markets work to improve our lives by training graduate students, conducting research, and applying sound economics to offer solutions to society's most pressing problems.