Repair and refinish automotive vehicle bodies and straighten vehicle frames.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
· Follow supervisors' instructions as to which parts to restore or replace and how much time the job should take.
· Review damage reports, prepare or review repair cost estimates, and plan work to be performed.
· Sand body areas to be painted and cover bumpers, windows, and trim with masking tape or paper to protect them from the paint.
· Fit and weld replacement parts into place, using wrenches and welding equipment, and grind down welds to smooth them, using power grinders and other tools.
· Prime and paint repaired surfaces, using paint sprayguns and motorized sanders.
· Remove damaged sections of vehicles using metal-cutting guns, air grinders and wrenches, and install replacement parts using wrenches or welding equipment.
· Chain or clamp frames and sections to alignment machines that use hydraulic pressure to align damaged components.
· Fill small dents that cannot be worked out with plastic or solder.
· File, grind, sand and smooth filled or repaired surfaces, using power tools and hand tools.
· Remove upholstery, accessories, electrical window-and-seat-operating equipment, and trim to gain access to vehicle bodies and fenders.
· Position dolly blocks against surfaces of dented areas and beat opposite surfaces to remove dents, using hammers.
· Mix polyester resins and hardeners to be used in restoring damaged areas.
· Adjust or align headlights, wheels, and brake systems.
· Cut and tape plastic separating film to outside repair areas to avoid damaging surrounding surfaces during repair procedure, and remove tape and wash surfaces after repairs are complete.
· Remove small pits and dimples in body metal using pick hammers and punches.
· Fit and secure windows, vinyl roofs, and metal trim to vehicle bodies, using caulking guns, adhesive brushes, and mallets.
· Remove damaged panels, and identify the family and properties of the plastic used on a vehicle.
· Clean work areas, using air hoses, to remove damaged material and discarded fiberglass strips used in repair procedures.
· Apply heat to plastic panels, using hot-air welding guns or immersion in hot water, and press the softened panels back into shape by hand.
· Inspect repaired vehicles for proper functioning, completion of work, dimensional accuracy, and overall appearance of paint job, and test drive vehicles to ensure proper alignment and handling.
· Read specifications or confer with customers to determine the desired custom modifications for altering the appearance of vehicles.
· Measure and mark vinyl material and cut material to size for roof installation, using rules, straightedges, and hand shears.
· Replace damaged glass on vehicles.
· Soak fiberglass matting in resin mixtures, and apply layers of matting over repair areas to specified thicknesses.
· Cut openings in vehicle bodies for the installation of customized windows, using templates and power shears or chisels.
· Accuracy - Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
· Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
· Organized - Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
· Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
· Resource Management (People & Equipment) - Ability to obtain and appropriate the proper usage of equipment, facilities, materials, as well as personnel.
· Responsible - Ability to be held accountable or answerable for one's conduct.
· Safety Awareness - Ability to identify and correct conditions that affect employee safety.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Education : High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED)
Experience: Six months to one year related experience. Certification recommended, but not required.