Manual Tube Well Manufacturer Training Specialist Consultant- Guinea
Effective with the release of this consultant announcement, Winrock International is seeking applicants for the position of Manual Tube Well Manufacturer Training Specialist Consultant to provide technical assistance to USAID's Strengthening Market-Led Agricultural Research, Technology, and Education (SMARTE) project. The responsibilities, duties, and qualifications are described in the attached scope of work. This consultancy is contingent upon the availability of funds.
Winrock is a recognized leader in U.S. and international development with a focus on social and environmental issues. As a mission driven, field-based organization, we believe that sustainable development is inclusive and that complex challenges require e integrated solutions. Winrock embraces continuous quality improvement and a culture of impact, accountability and entrepreneurship.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 28, 2017. In the Subject Line, please indicate: 'Manual Tube Well Manufacturer Training Specialist.' Winrock would like to graciously thank all applicants for their interest but only consultants who meet all requisite criteria and are short listed will be contacted. Guinean Nationals preferred. Winrock International is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
SCOPE OF WORK
CONSULTANT TITLE: Manual Tube Well Manufacturer Training Specialist
PROJECT: USAID Guinea SMARTE
LOCATION: Kindia/ Mamou/ Faranah, Guinea
LENGTH OF EFFORT: 2 months
DEPARTMENT: Agriculture & Volunteer Programs
REPORTS TO: SMARTE Project Director, Mr. Andrew Kovarik (Guinea, Primary); Winrock HQ Program Manager, Mr. Peter Saling (USA, Primary)
The Strengthening Market-Led Agricultural Research, Technology, and Education (SMARTE) project is a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) that aims to build sustainable systems for providing demand-driven information and hasten technology adoption to transform Guinea's agricultural sector through the Feed the Future Guinea Agricultural Services Initiative. Over the project timeline, SMARTE, implemented by Winrock International, will improve market-system actors' ability to make informed business decisions based upon economic incentives that will result in increased productivity, incomes, youth and women's employment, and improved livelihoods and nutrition.
As part of the program, Winrock International is providing technical leadership in research and development of agricultural technologies by delivering technical assistance and training to improve the commercialization of agricultural technologies.
GENERAL SUMMARY OF THE CONSULTANCY
The consultant will provide support to Winrock International's Guinea SMARTE project by acting as the manual tube well manufacturer training specialist. As the manual tube well manufacturer training specialist, the consultant will provide technical assistance to local metalworkers to manufacturer manual tube well installation equipment used in drilling tube wells. In 2016, SMARTE trained ISAV/F faculty and students to produce equipment and conduct drilling of tube wells. Under this assignment, the trainer will identify and select Guinean metalworkers in the towns of Faranah, Kindia and Mamou based upon their technical competency and ability to commercialize the equipment. The trainer will then train two manufacturers on production of manual tube well equipment at their metal working shops. The trainings will include production of one set of manual tools for each manufacturer. The trainer will conduct five tube well installations at a high potential area near each training site that will be used to demonstrate the technology in the future.
By the end of the training, the consultant will have supported 2-4 manufacturers and 2 AVENIR agents to develop the following skill sets through practical training:
- Ability to design and manufacture tube well drilling equipment;
- Ability to conduct maintenance of tube wells; and,
- Ability to organize and complete a viable tube well installation.
1. Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with SMARTE to develop resource lists for the manufacture of two sets of tube well digging equipment and five sets of appropriate PVC for tube well installation;
- Spend five days in Conakry and surrounding areas locating and purchasing materials and supplies, and preparing for transport to workshops as needed;
- Finalize selection of identified tube well manufacturer candidates from pre-selected candidates;
- Organize the facilities and supplies to prepare for the manufacturing process;
- Provide training sessions with participants for the development of skills related to the development and manufacturing of two sets of tube well digging equipment (reading plans and assembly drawings, welding, metal preparation);
- Complete manufacture of ten tube wells; and,
- Conduct installations of tube wells as a practical exercise and demonstration for client.
2. Location of Assignment
- The assignment will be conducted at the Winrock offices in Kindia and Faranah, Guinea and may require frequent travel within the region.
3. Reporting Requirements
- The Consultant will report to the Chief of Party (COP).
- Proven experience manufacturing tube well installation equipment and installing tube wells;
- Prior experience training metal manufacturers how to manufacture tube well equipment;
- Ability to advise on sourcing raw materials for the training, specifically mild steel of various gauges;
- Ability to conduct session with farmers to demonstrate tube well usage; and
- Understanding and ability to train others on trouble shooting for treadle pump and tube well installations.