Gender Specialist - Cap Haitien, Haiti
Effective with the release of this position announcement, Winrock International is seeking applicants for the position of Gender Integration Specialist to be based in Cap Haitien, Haiti as part of a potential funding opportunity in Haiti. The responsibilities, duties, and qualifications are described in the attached position description.
GENERAL: Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources. By linking local individuals and communities with new ideas and technology, Winrock is increasing long-term productivity, equity, and responsible resource management to benefit the poor and disadvantaged of the world.
SALARY & BENEFITS: The annual salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits include life, disability and medical insurance, retirement, and other normal Winrock benefits.
APPLICATIONS: Applicants should go to www.winrock.org to the Jobs link and submit their applications (maximum 5 pages including resume, two references and one-page cover letter) referencing 'Gender Integration Specialist.' Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Haitian nationals currently residing in Haiti are encouraged to apply!
Winrock would like to graciously thank all applicants for their interest but only candidates who meet all requisite criteria and are short listed will be contacted. EEOE/AA.
POSITION TITLE: Gender Specialist
LOCATION: Cap Haitien, Haiti
UNIT: Forestry and Natural Resource Management Group
REPORTS TO: Cross-cutting Coordinator (CCC)
Winrock International is recruiting a Gender Specialist for an anticipated USAID-funded project. This position will be based in Cap Haitien, Haiti. The anticipated project will build on previous experiences and work from other USAID and donor investments with a focus on an environment and food security activity designed to address environmental degradation and loss of tree cover in Haiti. Activities will be designed to reduce the threat of deforestation and increase tree cover in and around targeted areas, in line with USAID/Haiti's goal of restoring the provision of environmental services in targeted forest areas in support of food security and resilience. The project will directly support and contribute to the Government of Haiti (GOH)-led efforts to manage healthy watersheds and mitigate and adapt to the impacts of climate change through forestry and land use practices.
The Gender Specialist will work with the Cross-Cutting Coordinator (CCC) and other technical staff to provide technical leadership on gender and coordinate the gender strategy and activities for the Haiti Reforestation Project. The Gender Integration Specialist will also review how gender indicators are integrated into the results framework, train staff on gender issues, and build gender into communication materials and project reports. S/he will be responsible for collaborating with project specialists to ensure a holistic approach throughout the project on gender issues. Specific responsibilities include:
- Conduct different gender-awareness training sessions and refresher workshops for project staff, focusing on gender-based constraints and opportunities in the different regions and in relation to the different resources or livelihood activities, using own resources or outside expertise;
- Advise and mentor staff (headquarters, regional and site level) to sensitize them on how to integrate gender equality and female empowerment in activities and assist them in challenging gender discrimination and overcoming gender-based constraints;
- Visit site-level offices and selected communities to gain adequate knowledge of potentials and constraints, and the work environment, to be able to better monitor, support, and supervise gender integration;
- Work with Monitoring and Evaluation in the development, application, and monitoring of gender-sensitive indicators and the consistent use of sex disaggregation in reporting to better measure gender-related impacts and outcomes;
- Help identify gender-sensitive questions and useful sex disaggregated information in survey questionnaires/formats and provide gender-awareness training for staff who will conduct surveys, using own resources or outside expertise
- Review and assess effectiveness of gender mainstreaming in proejct policies and in activities through reports, field visits, and surveys;
- Work with the Grants Management to ensure that small grants applicants include gender issues;
- Work with the Communications Manager to integrate gender content into communication materials (posters, scripts for radio or television, documentaries, and success stories);
- Ensure the effective implementation of the project's Gender Strategy, including:
- Monitoring, assessing, and reporting on the implementation of the Gender Strategy, in order to ensure compliance in all programming, planning, training, and activities
- Provide advice and inputs to better support consistent and effective gender integration in programming, planning, implementation, and monitoring
- Ensuring that working conditions are gender-sensitive, and free from discrimination and harassment
- Achieving a more equal female-male ratio of staff at all levels, decision-making positions, to better reflect Haitian society
- Network with other organizations to share gender-related information and best practices;
- Develop gender-related skills, tools, and conceptual frameworks to strengthen gender responsiveness and analysis in programming and implementation, using own resources or outside expertise;
- Provide monthly updates, and assist in compiling gender-related highlights and 'success stories' for Quarterly and Annual Technical progress reports for donor submission;
- Prepare Annual Work Plan for gender component; and
- Complete other tasks as assigned by supervisor(s).
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
Education: Master's degree in a relevant field
Work Experience: Five to seven years of relevant experience in gender integration into development projects.
- Experience working with USAID-funded projects is an advantage
- Demonstrated and proven record to work in a multidisciplinary team
- In depth knowledge and work experience in the natural resources sector in Haiti;
- In depth knowledge and work experience in gender issues in natural resources;
- Ability to work in a team, including effectively contributing to joint planning and implementation of trainings, workshops, and other program activities;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills;
- Required computer proficiencies: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet;
- French- fluent spoken, written required
- English - proficient spoken, written required
- Creole - proficient, preferred