Chief of Party for Guatemala Sustainable Forest Management and Water Activity
Effective with the release of this position announcement, Winrock International will be recruiting applicants for the position of Chief of Party with the anticipated Guatemala Sustainable Forest Management and Water Activity project under the Forestry & Natural Resource Management (FNRM) Unit. The responsibilities, duties, and qualifications are described in the attached position description. Position is contingent upon receipt of donor funding.
General: Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources. By linking local individuals and communities with new ideas and technology, Winrock is increasing long-term productivity, equity, and responsible resource management to benefit the poor and disadvantaged of the world.
Salary & Benefits: The salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits.
Applications: Applicants should go to the “Jobs” link at www.winrock.org and submit a current resume and cover letter referencing “Guatemala Chief of Party”. Winrock would like to graciously thank all applicants for their interest but only candidates who meet all requisite criteria and are short listed will be contacted. EEO/AA.
Position Title: Chief of Party, Guatemala Sustainable Forest Management and Water Activity
Unit: Forestry & Natural Resource Management
Reports to: Director, FNRM Unit
Winrock is seeking Chief of Party candidates for an anticipated program in Guatemala on the Sustainable Forest Management and Water Activity. This position will be based in Guatemala. The anticipated project(s) will Support Guatemala to develop a comprehensive approach to mitigate and adapt to climate change by improving natural resource management, building technical and institutional capacity, and supporting the implementation of legal and policy frameworks. Position is contingent upon receipt of donor funding.
- Provide overall technical leadership and administrative oversight in order to achieve the results of the program.
- Serve as principal liaison to USAID/Guatemala.
- Oversee and be responsible for financial and administrative aspects of the project including managing the budget.
- Provide supervision, support, and direction to long- and short-term staff.
- Administer the project's financial oversight and procedures, ensuring compliance with established Winrock accounting principles and USAID regulations.
- Monitor program indicators, evaluate program results and make recommendations for improvement in program implementation.
- Analyze project impact and challenges to adaptively manage the project to meet or exceed results.
- Ensure women and marginalized groups are beneficiaries of the project.
- Prepare annual work plans and progress reports, and monitor the implementation of these plans. Prepare and submit quarterly reports on progress of activities and achievement of program results to USAID.
- Interact directly and on a regular basis with USAID and other stakeholders.
- Participate in regular field visits to the project areas to assure project progress towards activity objectives and goals.
- Coordinate and communicate on a regular basis with Winrock’s Home Office.
- Manage relationships with complementary USAID and donor projects.
- Represent Winrock at meetings and events as required and keep HQ informed regarding new opportunities in the country and region.
Qualifications and Background:
- Master’s degree required in Earth Sciences, Forestry, Natural Resource Management, Agriculture, Resource Economics, Public/Business Administration, Governance, or relevant fields of study related to the project. PhD in relevant discipline would be a distinct asset.
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience in fields required for the successful implementation of this program, natural resource management, climate change, agriculture, community development, and governance, as well as an understanding of policy, economics, and market issues in these sectors.
- Proven exceptional leadership in the design, management, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of similar size and complex international donor support programs with skills in strategic planning, management, supervision, and budgeting.
- Technical and managerial experience in Central America is highly desirable.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Technical understanding of forestry and water issues in Guatemala.
- Proven ability to develop and communicate a common vision among diverse public and private partners and the ability to lead multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to maintain the highest ethical standards at all times
- Knowledge of USAID policies and procedures as related to project management preferred.
- Knowledge of the political, social, cultural, environmental, and development context of Central America strongly preferred.
- Ability to diplomatically supervise staff and coordinate programs with partners from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences.
- Ability to build coalitions and networks that can provide synergies and sustainable solutions.
- Must be comfortable in high-level representational role as well as interacting with beneficiaries.
- Strong communication skills, both interpersonal and written to effectively coordinate stakeholders.
- Fluency in written and oral English and Spanish is required.
|We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), national origin, caste, tribe, age (40 or older), disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Winrock International recommends that you read the following notices provided by the United States Government before applying:
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law - Supplement
Your Rights Under the Family and Medical Leave Act
Your Rights Under the Polygraph Protection Act
Your Rights Under the Fair Labor Standards Act