Proposal Manager - Arlington, VA
Effective with the release of this position announcement, Winrock International will be recruiting for the position of Proposal Manager. The responsibilities, duties and qualifications for this position are described in the attached position description.
General: Winrock International is a recognized leader in U.S. and international development with a focus on economic, social and environmental issues. Winrock strives to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources across the globe. The organization is named after Winthrop Rockefeller who cut a unique path as an economic and governmental leader in the 1950's. As an outcomes-driven organization, we believe that sustainable development is inclusive and that complex challenges require integrated solutions. We value continuous learning, programmatic impact, and a culture of accountability.
Private investment in developing countries vastly exceeds public investment each year, and the gap is expected to continue to widen. Achieving desirable economic development outcomes increasingly depends upon effective linkages between public, private and philanthropic initiatives. Winrock seeks a mission-driven, creative and entrepreneurial professional to develop and manage partnerships with corporations, foundations and other private sector entities that improve livelihoods, protect and empower the vulnerable, and preserve natural resources.
Salary and Benefits: The annual salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits include life, disability and medical insurance, and retirement.
Applications: Applicants may go to Winrock's Careers Page at https://www.winrock.org/join-us/careers/job-openings/ to complete an online application, submit a current resume and cover letter. Winrock International is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. EOE/AA
Position Title: Proposal Manager
Location: Arlington, VA
Unit/Group: Business Development & External Affairs
Reports to: Senior Director, New Business Development
The Proposal Manager will work across the full life cycle of new business development for opportunities $1M+ from capture to proposal submission. S/he has primary responsibility for delivery of compliant and responsive proposal packages to a variety of donors in line with Winrock's new business systems and processes. Other key responsibilities include timely and effective support to Program and Operations Groups to prepare and submit winning funding applications, fostering collaboration across organizational groups, and serving as a cross organization resource on how to best meet proposal requirements through synthesis and dissemination of lessons learned. S/he will maintain professional relationships with partner organization's business development staff and facilitate engagement of Winrock with partners. S/he will also lead a team of proposal service providers, internal and external staff, responsible for multiple aspects of proposal development and submission. Overall, s/he is responsible for assuring that Winrock's new business cycle and processes are effective and efficient, lead to successful proposal outcomes, enhance Winrock's reputation among donors and partners as well as expand sustainable funding opportunities.
- Contributes to Winrock's proposal development process to meet organization's strategic and annual new business goals. Develops and maintains Winrock proposal processes, systems, tools, and disseminates best practices.
- Coordinates Bid/No Bid Decisions for live proposals ensuring notification of all relevant stakeholders of opportunities and obtaining necessary sign offs.
- Ensures timeliness and compliance of proposals by managing proposal calendars, compliance checklists, trackers etc. Obtains sign off from all relevant stakeholders and finalizes packages for submission 24 hours before due date.
- Oversees collection and completion of all proposal components (technical, financial, management, annexes, cost share) working in collaboration with Programs, Operations and partners. Some information can be sensitive and confidential. Manages document version control, sequencing of reviews and the overall development, coordination and version control of all proposal documents.
- Maintains collaborative proposal workspace for all proposal documents.
- Provides guidance to program units on various donors and foundation funding mechanisms, such as USAID IDIQ, LWA, BAA, grants etc.
- Support Program Groups to engage with partners and negotiate roles/scopes of work in teaming agreements, technical inputs, deliverables, and budget targets. Ensures timely submissions from partners for proposals.
- Contributes to the creation and maintenance of high quality institutional proposal material, including organizational qualifications and past performance information
- Support Finance team to ensure cost proposal meets all solicitation requirements and that partner budgets are delivered on time and at agreed upon ceiling.
- Responsible for ensuring communication among all parties throughout the proposal process. Lead meetings and conference calls with expanded proposal teams, including Programs, Operations, consultants and partners ensuring adherence to proposal calendar deliverables.
- Identify bottlenecks in the process escalating accordingly to higher level, as necessary, to ensure timetable and deliverables remain on track.
- Prepare and lead post-submission evaluation sessions to glean lessons learned including obtaining feedback from donors.
- Initiate early development of cost share partnerships engaging with Partnerships and Programs to identify and engage with partners.
- Collaborates effectively with the broader External Affairs and New Business Team.
- Maintains up to date membership and professional qualifications in proposal management/business development associations
- Domestic & international travel as required by the position, and other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Background:
- Master's degree in a relevant field preferred.
- Specialized training or certification in Proposal Management or equivalent experience is desired.
- Minimum six years of related experience preferred to perform the major responsibilities of the position as listed above
- Substantive knowledge of USAID, FAR/AIDAR and public procurement environment as well as substantial knowledge of foreign assistance and other grant funding requirements is desired
- Experience working with and obtaining funding from foundations is highly preferred
Skills and Abilities:
- Good time management and organizational skills
- Excellent English language writing and communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft power point, word processing and spreadsheet software are required and graphics and Internet applications are desired.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to be a good team player
- Ability to maintain the highest ethical standards at all times