Program Officer 2: Clean Energy
Effective with the release of this position announcement, Winrock International will be recruiting applicants for the position of Program Officer 2. The responsibilities, duties and qualifications for this position are described in the attached position description.
GENERAL: Winrock is a recognized leader in U.S. and international development with a focus on social and environmental issues. As a mission driven, field-based organization, we believe that sustainable development is inclusive and that complex challenges require integrated solutions. Winrock embraces continuous quality improvement and a culture of impact, accountability and entrepreneurship.
SALARY & BENEFITS: The annual salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits include but not limited to: life, disability, medical insurance, dental and vision and retirement.
APPLICATIONS: Applicants should go to http://www.winrock.org/join-us/careers/ and submit a current resume, cover letter and reference contacts. Winrock would like to graciously thank all applicants for their interest but only candidates who meet all requisite criteria and are short listed will be contacted. Winrock International is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
POSITION TITLE: Program Officer II
DEPARTMENT: Clean Energy, Environment, and Water Group
LOCATION: Arlington, Virginia
REPORTS TO: Innovations Lead, Clean Energy and Water
STATUS: Full-time, exempt
Position Summary: The Program Officer II for Clean Energy, Environment and Water Group provides management of Winrock's Clean Energy projects and leads Clean Energy and cross-divisional new business proposal development and capture activities. The Program Officer will have expertise in clean energy finance, climate finance, and transaction advisory support. The position requires frequent international travel to countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America where Winrock has or is developing clean energy projects.
Program Management and Technical Support
- Manage large USG and other donor projects for the Clean Energy, Environment and Water Group, including the following specific functions:
- Providing overall project planning and management
- Managing budgets and preparing external budgets for donors
- Providing technical direction
- Developing detailed programmatic reports and workplans
- Managing field staff and consultants
- Overseeing project operations and ensuring field office functionality and donor compliance
- Managing donor relations and coordinating with other relevant donor programs
- Preparing internal project budgets and forecasts
- Represent Winrock's Clean Energy, Environment and Water Group at sector-specific local, regional and global events; including as presenter/panelist to grow Winrock's reputation in the clean energy finance, transaction advisory, incentives for renewables and energy efficiency investors, enterprise development and impact investment mobilization, and last mile clean energy access sectors.
- Support divisional and cross-divisional program/project planning and proposal development, including overall unit strategy development and positioning.
- Provide technical support in energy financing and other relevant topics to other Winrock groups' projects and outside Winrock (e.g., to donors, other implementers, local NGOs and enterprises)
- Mentor junior colleagues within CEW on technical and program management issues.
New Business Development
- Lead and manage Clean Energy proposals including Task Orders under Power Africa, Clean Energy IDIQ, and respond to other RFAs and RFPs from USG and other donors. Specific functions include:
- Proposal capture (new business tracking, intelligence gathering and research, partner teaming, staff recruitment)
- Build partner and donor relationships
- Technical program design
- Budget development
- Oversee external consultants and partner inputs
- Work closely with external consultants and internal support teams (Operations and New Business Support units) to develop and prepare proposals
- Facilitate strategic proposal and presentation coordination meetings
- Provide technical inputs for relevant proposals for other groups within Winrock.
- Lead/coordinate proposal development with other organizations (primes and subcontractors)
- Work with other senior members of the Clean Energy, Environment and Water Group to develop strategy for NB pursuits.
- Perform other duties as required
Qualifications and Background:
Education and Experience:
- Master's degree in finance, business administration, engineering, environment or related field
- Depth of knowledge in clean energy finance, climate finance, and transaction advisory support
- Oversight of large and/or multiple programs
- Proven new business development success with USG contracts and cooperative agreements
- Minimum six years of related experience
Relevant Skills / Knowledge Required:
- Ability to maintain the highest ethical standards at all times
- Sound project and financial management skills; strong knowledge of donor rules and regulations.
- Excellent quantitative analysis skills; ability to collect, process and analyze reports and data.
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to develop clear, concise and effective project reports, papers, presentations and proposals.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently. Excellent organization skills, including ability to coordinate a variety of tasks, set and keep deadlines, and work effectively under pressure.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including professional communication style with funders and partners, ability to interact effectively with public and private clients, and ability to maintain strict client confidentiality.
- Demonstrated team player skills.
- Personal computer applications including Microsoft Word, Excel spreadsheets, email, presentation, and other relevant software.