Livestock Productivity Director
Effective with the release of this position announcement, Winrock International is recruiting applicants for a Livestock Productivity Director for a proposed Kenya Feed the Future project. The responsibilities, duties and qualifications are described in the attached position description.
General: Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to increase economic opportunity, sustain natural resources, and protect the environment. Winrock matches innovative approaches in agriculture, natural resources management, clean energy, and leadership development with the unique needs of its partners. By linking local individuals and communities with new ideas and technology, Winrock is increasing long-term productivity, equity, and responsible resource management to benefit the poor and disadvantaged of the world.
Salary: The annual salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applications: Please submit a current CV and cover letter to WIKenya2017@gmail.com with the subject line “Livestock Productivity Director Application”. Winrock International is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Only Kenyan residents will be considered for this position.
Position Title: Livestock Productivity Director
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Department: Agriculture & Enterprise
Reports to: Chief of Party
- Provide technical leadership to activities that improve livestock productivity, which include but is not limited to animal health and nutrition, husbandry and breeding practices, herd management, and feed.
- Design, test and scale market-led mechanisms to promote and deliver inputs and services to livestock producers.
- Develop partnerships to increase year-round access to affordable and high quality animal feed.
- Design embedded extension solutions to facilitate the transfer of improved livestock rearing practices to producers.
- Improve learning and adoption of technologies and practices.
Qualifications & Background:
- Advanced degree in degree in veterinary science, agronomy or related field.
- Minimum of 10 years of practical experience in livestock production and marketing, including at least 5 years spent working in Kenya’s arid and semi-arid lands (ASAL).
- Demonstrated understanding of the economic, social, and cultural dynamics of pastoralist production systems in Northern Kenya.
- Demonstrated networks and trust relations with pastoralist communities.
- Demonstrated track record of working with service providers in the livestock sector, including veterinary and input services.
Knowledge, Skills & Other:
- Demonstrated strong writing and oral presentation skills in English and Swahili
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills
- Strong team player
- Ability to maintain the highest ethical standards at all times
|We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), national origin, caste, tribe, age (40 or older), disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Winrock International recommends that you read the following notices provided by the United States Government before applying:
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law - Supplement
Your Rights Under the Family and Medical Leave Act
Your Rights Under the Polygraph Protection Act
Your Rights Under the Fair Labor Standards Act