CITY OF WINTER GARDEN
CLASSIFICATION TITLE: Communications Manager
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Police / Communications
“We make every customer feel important and cared for, find creative solutions with a can-do attitude, and follow the Winter Garden Way.”
* Ownership * Responsive * Respectful * Professional
Provide service delivery that will create service wins for both our internal and external customers.
This is a position responsible for managing and supervising specialized communications work performed by communications supervisors and public safety telecommunicators; providing effective coordination between public requests for Police services and the appropriate elements of the Department via the use of the Department radio network and other forms of communication. This will include use of many forms of communication including but not limited to: Written, Oral, Radio, Teletype, and Telephone communications. Supervise department/division functions such as teletype access, radio system maintenance, 911 system maintenance, CAD usage, dispatcher training and certification, and security of the communications center and information.
- Manages and supervises communications center functions for the police department including radio system, teletype system, telephone system, CAD, and 911 systems.
- Ensure dispatch center policies and written directives are available and current.
- Ensures that all department employees needing access to FCIC/NCIC and DHSMV system(s) are trained.
- Verifies correct input and retrieval of information from electronic or other systems.
- Requires frequent decision-making skills and use of personal computers, police radio, telephones and other office equipment.
- Provides for training and instruction of communications center staff.
- Coordinates staffing levels, reviews applications and may participate in selection.
- Coordinates with radio vendors and Central Florida communications managers to maintain law enforcement coverage.
- Schedules and approves subordinates’ work hours and leave requests.
- Provides input for division performance goals.
- Evaluates subordinates’ work performance.
- Coordinates corrective action when needed to improve subordinates’ performance.
- Coordinates police dispatch techniques to assure availability of vital information, compliance with state laws.
- Provides input for and maintains security procedures.
- Promotes a safe work environment for subordinates.
- Provides recommendations concerning equipment, supplies, and other budgetary items.
- Represent agency at functions that involve communications center activities/issues.
- Other position logical responsibilities as directed by a command officer.
- Able to perform the essential functions of a Communications Supervisor (Job Code 410).
- Associates Degree or higher.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of full-time experience working as a public safety dispatcher/telecommunicator with a call volume equal to or greater than the City of Winter Garden, with a minimum of five (5) years of continuous experience as a public safety dispatch supervisor or manager.
- Must be drug free, and subject to random drug screens throughout employment.
- Maintain a valid Florida driver license.
- Be able to work flexible hours, which can include weekends, holidays, and various shifts.
- Experience in dealing with the general public.
- Be a citizen of the United States of America.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Skill in the use of modern equipment including Computer Aided Dispatch software.
- Be certified as a Public Safety Telecommunicator.
- No police record of criminal activities or involvement in any situation involving moral turpitude.
Exceptions to the minimum qualifications must be reviewed by the Human Resources Director and approved by the City Manager prior to job offer.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Professional demeanor and conduct.
- Personal conduct must be above reproach.
- Ability to supervise a diverse staff, performs multiple tasks, and prioritizes workloads.
- Extensive knowledge and certification of policies and procedures required to access the FCIC/NCIC systems as well as certification to teach this knowledge.
- Ability to perform assigned duties calmly and efficiently while under pressure for sustained periods of time.
- Necessary office skills include use of telephone, typing, writing, reading, filing, fax, copier, and personal computer.
- Thorough knowledge of the regulations, policies, and procedures involved in the operation of the Police Communications center.
Work is sedentary in nature, but may include lifting or moving light items associated with clerical office operations.
The City of Winter Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity guidelines and the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Winter Garden provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.