CITY OF WINTER GARDEN
Job Code: 137
CLASSIFICATION TITLE: Assistant City Manager – Public Services
DEPARTMENT: Public Services
FLSA Status: E
Union Status: N/A
“We make every customer feel important and cared for, find creative solutions with a can-do attitude, and follow the Winter Garden Way.”
* Ownership * Responsive * Respectful * Professional
Provide service delivery that will create service wins for both our internal and external customers.
This position is a highly responsible administrative and managerial position that directs the operations and management of the Public Services Department for the City. The position’s responsibilities are of a considerable variety and volume related to streets and drainage, solid waste/recycling, water, water treatment, wastewater, wastewater treatment, storm water, environmental services, and cemeteries. Work is performed under the administrative direction of the City Manager and considerable independent judgment, discretion, and initiative are exercised in carrying out the daily operations of the department with efficiency and effectiveness.
- Oversees division operations and management, including supervising, directing, planning, coordinating, and instructing all divisions and personnel within the Public Services Department.
- Responsible for budget planning, preparation, control, and management processes for all divisions within the Public Services department.
- Makes procedural and operational recommendations to the City Manager.
- Plans, organizes and administers a variety of programs, projects and activities related to the construction and planning of city projects. Responsible for the planning, scheduling and preparing Capital Improvement Program Projects and Budget, as well as, individual items presented to the City Commission for approval.
- Coordinates work activities and programs of the department with other City programs and projects.
- Maintains and promulgates necessary departmental rules and regulations in accordance with personnel rules and regulations and City policy.
- Attends and participates in conferences and meetings of department directors, the City Commission and others.
- Prepares reports and correspondence.
- Confers with officials and other representatives of governmental agencies, engineering firms and contractors on problems relating to projects being proposed or in process.
- Acts as the City liaison with State and Federal Regulatory Agencies.
- Administers disciplinary hearings as required and according to City Policy.
- Performs other assigned duties as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Business Management or related field – Master’s Degree preferred; Six (6) years of progressively responsible experience in a public sector environment, preferably at the municipal or county level, of which four (4) years were within a leadership capacity; or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid Florida Driver's License and acceptable driving record.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge of municipal public works planning, design, and administration.
- Ability to plan, organizes, direct, and coordinate public services activities, programs and projects.
- Knowledge of civil engineering desired.
- Ability to plan, direct, supervises, coordinate, organize, and inspect public services and engineering plans, programs, and activities.
- Ability to prepare written technical reports, estimates, and construction and cost records.
- Ability to address civic organizations or other public or private groups on subjects relative to public services programs and projects.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates superiors, city and governmental officials and the general public.
- Ability to prepare, develops, and presents public services plans and programs to the public and City Commission.
Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve intermittent sitting, standing, stooping, crouching, walking, lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials (up to 20 pounds).
Work is performed within office conditions with occasional exposure to disagreeable environmental factors including some risk of exposure to vehicular traffic, noise, and exhaust fumes, as well as open trenches and construction areas which involve the use of safety equipment such as reflective vests, hardhats, and safety shoes. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate and may sometimes be loud. Must follow all safety requirements carefully.
The City of Winter Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity guidelines and the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Winter Garden provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.