Bottling Supervisor- Napa, CA, US
Production Shift Supervisor is responsible for supervising and coordinating all shift personnel to ensure the facility and all equipment is clean and operating to meet all Quality and Production standards, while keeping safety in the highest regard. In addition, must be able to work independently while ensuring and enforcing all operational, sanitation and safety procedures, job descriptions, and practices created by Barrel Ten-Quarter Circle management are completed. Also, must be able to work rotating shifts as directed by Department Manager. Lastly, must be able to work overtime and holidays as directed by Department Manager and/or Operation Manager.
- Understand and comply with all ISO 9001, HACCP and GMP requirements and processes.
- Meet with previous shift supervisors and maintenance leads prior to pre-shift meetings to discuss problems on previous shift.
- Complete Safety walk-through on your assigned week and complete monthly safety tailgate for your shift.
- Complete weekly efficiencies and employee reports as directed by manager.
- Ensure all new employees:
- Know and understand top ten safety problems, which are reported by the Safety Department on issues.
- Understand the Company’s QMS - ISO 9001, HACCP and GMPs.
- Employee trained for their particular job.
- Employee knows all safety rules and regulations.
- Conduct pre-shift meetings.
- Meetings are to be conducted during the first 15 minutes of every shift (use an interpreter if needed).
- Inform employees of daily goal/problems to be aware of: changeovers, schedule changes, etc.
- Review yesterday’s production (positives and negatives).
- Review any potential production problems (including materials or QA).
- Ask for feedback or solutions to problems.
- Ask if any employee has any items to share with other employees.
- Check to see if properly staffed for the daily work prior to start of shift.
- All employee time cards are to be totaled, signed and approved by shift supervisor and employee at the end of each week or pay period and turned into Human Resources (HR).
- Ensure there is cross training being conducted to always have a backup for a position.
- Turn all requests for vacation and sick leave in to Manager.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Department Manager or any other Manager.
Assist other Departments:
- Assist Quality Assurance (QA) in keeping all Case print and Pallet tags current and correct.
- Perform “On Hand Reports” for your shift, issue reports, and material evaluations.
- Assist cellar, line personnel, maintenance, and QA.
- Responsible for having employees follow their job description.
- Ensure all employees are following all company practices, policies and safety procedures.
- Evaluate your shift employees every three months with department manger and every six months, formally.
- Attend and assist in all safety meetings and facility meeting requirements.
Line responsibilities for bottling:
- Ensure proper set up of materials on the line.
- Check set up of case, and palletizer printers.
- Turn in paperwork for your shift.
- Report any problems or issues in Supervisors Log.
- Place proper paperwork out on the line.
- Check schedule for changeovers and make sure all departments are prepared, parts pulled, supplies staged, etc…
- Use Standard Operation Procedures (SOP) and troubleshooting procedures to deal with problems.
- Be knowledgeable in every department to manage and help solve problems.
- Meet all product standards (QA).
- Check materials, e.g., glass, corks, foils, labels, etc.
- Check wine.
- Check trucks and shipping.
- Check production to ensure schedule is being met, make needed adjustments.
- Evaluate temporary associates every three months with department manager.
- Routinely advise employees of strengths and areas of improvement.
- Rework holds and follow through with release numbers with QA.
- Turn in work orders to Maintenance Department.
- Work with Maintenance Manager or Department Manager to complete work orders.
- Hold employee meetings in all areas regularly to share ideas, improvements, progress, etc.
- Supervise and enforce attendance.
- Help hire and develop employees for full time and temporaries.
- Hold employees accountable to job descriptions and responsibilities.
- Have a line presence.
- Be present on line if having continuing problems until problem is fixed.
- Support other departments on line with resolving problems, conflicts and issues.
- 80% to 90% of time should be spent making sure line is running properly.
- Work with employees and show support. Think leadership.
- Cover with on-coming supervisor, production lead and maintenance lead the events of the shift and item which need attention at production meeting.
- Turn in report of shift to Shipping Office at end of shift.
- Make sure line is ready to run as quickly as possible after change over.
- Ensure day's production pallet tags and case labels are correct during the shift.
- Ensure all tin capsules and trays from production are placed in assigned area.
- Ensure all materials not used during a production run be returned to inventory.
- Ensure that employees clean:
- All equipment should be clean and free of materials, glass, wine etc…
- All sinks and carts are clean and clear at shift change. Don’t leave mess for other shifts.
- Floors swept and mopped.
- Cardboard and plastic bailed.
- Outside recycle area cleaned.
- Break room and patio area cleaned.
- Restrooms cleaned.
- Cellar department.
- Filler Room floors, walls and windows each day.
- Oversee and ensure proper sanitation of filters, corker, and filler systems. See SOP for each area.
- Oversee Cellar start- up. See SOP start up in Cellar.
- Work with QA to have the Bio completed by ½ hour prior to start up after sanitation or change- over.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by Production Manager, Operations Manager or General Manager.
- All employees must be trained and familiar with Barrel Ten-Quarter Circle and Hacienda Wine Cellars Injury and Illness Prevention Program.
- Report any and all spills or leaks of hazardous material and any unsafe conditions to your supervisor immediately.
- Comply with all general work safety rules pursuant to Barrel Ten and Hacienda’s Company Injury and Illness Program.
- Must attend all facility safety tailgates and training classes.
- Must perform all duties in a safe manner.
- Must meet company and/or department dress code.
- Personal protective equipment required:
- Side shield glasses.
- Hard hat
- Appropriate footwear.
- Blade protective gloves while washing bottles.
- Physical abilities required:
- Able to lift 40 pounds occasionally.
- Sit at computer for extended periods.
- Able to use platforms.
- Long hours or extended periods standing on concrete floors.
- Conduct monthly tailgate meeting with all employees.