|We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
CITY OF WINTER GARDEN
Job Code: 411
Pay Level: 611
CLASSIFICATION TITLE: Telecommunicator
FLSA Status: N
Union Status: N/A
“We make every customer feel important and cared for, find creative solutions with a can-do attitude, and follow the Winter Garden Way.”
* Ownership * Responsive * Respectful * Professional
Provide service delivery that will create service wins for both our internal and external customers.
To provide effective coordination between public requests for Police services and the appropriate elements of the Department via the use of the Department radio network. This will include use of many forms of communication including but not limited to: Written, Oral, Radio, Teletype, and Telephone communications. Act as a liaison with other Law Enforcement agencies through the use of radio, Teletype and telephone equipment. Serve as a central, continuously operational, relay point from which the activities and personnel of the Department are coordinated.
- Operate base station radio network using the various assigned frequencies.
- OPERATE computer aided dispatch (CAD) system.
- ANSWER 911 emergency phone calls and initiate appropriate actions to resolve call
- Maintain accurate status records of all Department units through various logs.
- Receive and assign complaints to appropriate mobile units for Police service.
- Relay requests from mobile units to appropriate individual(s).
- Monitor other Public Safety Radio channels for information pertinent to this agency.
- Operate Teletype as part of the F.C.I.C. and N.C.I.C. Network.
- Answer telephone calls and initiate appropriate actions to resolve call.
- Carry out any other duties assigned by the Chief of Police or his designee.
- Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
- High School Diploma.
- Be a citizen of the United States of America.
- Display ability to type proficiently at a minimum speed of FORTY words per minute.
- Pass a spelling test with a test score of at least 80%.
- Display listening and memory recall ability, recalling at least 20 total facts from 5 different audio exercises.
- Be able to work flexible hours, which will include weekends, holidays, and various shifts.
- Reside within twenty-five (25) driven miles of the police station throughout career as determined by MapQuest or Google Maps commencing on the date of employment.
Exceptions to the minimum qualifications must be reviewed by the Human Resources Director and approved by the City
- Bilingual, in both English and Spanish.
- Previous experience in transmitting and receiving messages over a radio.
- Prior dispatching experience with another agency.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Professional demeanor and conduct.
- Personal conduct must be above reproach.
- Ability to perform assigned duties calmly and efficiently while under pressure for sustained periods of time.
- Ability to speak clearly and concisely.
- Necessary office skills include use of telephone, typing, writing, reading, filing, fax, copier, personal computer, and various types of computer software.
- Thorough knowledge of the regulations, policies, and procedures involved in the operation of the Police Communications Network.
- Work is sedentary in nature, but may include lifting or moving light items associated with clerical office operations.
The City of Winter Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity guidelines and the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Winter Garden provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.